The Canadian Voyageurs Adventure – Expect the Unexpected….


Over 10 weeks ago, Gerry, my husband, Pompom and I left Rocky Mountain House Alberta to cross Canada by canoe.  This has been one of the most amazing experiences of our lives.  Being immersed in wilderness, testing our courage and learning more about ourselves has made for a remarkable journey.

We have visited countless historical sites and have documented them all – taking photos and shooting film for our documentary which we will put together at the end of our time out there.  We have learned so much more of Canada’s rich history and let me tell you this, we have gained great respect for our predecessors – the real Voyageurs.  They had such courage and perseverance – they faced adversity and hardship on a daily basis – yet they carried on.  This is not an expedition for the weak minded or for people who give up easily.  Something we learned first hand.  On a trip like this anything can happen and lots did.


You might be wondering how I am updating my blog if I am supposed to be in the middle of the wilderness….  Well, it’s kind of a long story – here’s what happened.

I need to backtrack a bit and give you a bit of our history.  Gerry and I live off grid in Northern Ontario – we decided to take this trip about 2 years ago when we flew over Canada.  We researched whether of not it was feasible to take on such a long journey.  Was this something we could do?  And most importantly how do we pull this off?  After 1 1/2 years of saving, shopping for gear, planning routes, buying maps, preparing dehydrated food and looking at other’s journeys who came before us we felt more than prepared to undertake this phenomenal expedition.  We tried to plan for every situation that could arise.  Having spent most of our lives exploring wilderness areas, we felt confident that we could handle anything that was thrown at us.  And for the most part – we did.


We left Rocky Mountain House on May 4th – the weather was still very cold. We found snow banks still 3 feet high in some areas on shore.  We faced freezing weather and snow blowing sideways – our solution was to build shelters with tarps – build fire pits with stones and hunker down to weather the storms.  We made ourselves very comfortable.  When headwinds were too strong, we headed for shore and made camp – we cooked great meals (brought lots of great dehydrated food that we prepared ourselves) and we kept warm – we saved our strength for days when paddling actually made us move forward.  We did a lot of filming and I wrote in my journal.  We were never bored, impatient or down – we always had fun.  Although it was difficult to set up and take down camp on a daily basis and it takes a lot out of you – we never felt like it was a chore – it was always just another enjoyable thing that needed to get done.  Another part of the journey to experience and learn from.

As mentioned we saved for over 1 1/2 years for this journey, Gerry and I financed this trip ourselves – we don’t have any sponsors that helped monetarily.  We had tried to budget for the unforeseen, to buy fresh food at towns on the way, for medical emergencies and even had room in the budget for several night at hotels when we needed a break from the river and enjoy the modern conveniences of life.  Some things we had not foreseen though…


We had not even left yet when the first medical emergency happened.  I was eating jujubes at my son’s (whom we stayed with for a month prior to departure as he is already out west – we drove up from Northern Ontario in April).  When I was chewing on the ju-jube – I felt something crunchy – my filling had come out of my tooth.  An emergency visit to a small town dentist (not my own – who would have charged me half the price probably) cost me – $475.  No worries though I felt it was better to happen a week prior to departure than a week after – so we took it in stride. Life is full of unexpected little surprises.

It was smooth sailing or canoeing as it be, after that – for awhile.


Our next “bad luck” was pretty bad.  At one of the forts – Victoria Settlement – we were robbed.  Yes robbed.  The fort was only open 4 days a week – (Thurs to Sun) due to budget cutbacks from the Alberta govt.  We arrived there on a Sunday afternoon with just enough time to tour and document the site. The fort is accessible by river – with a canoe launch and campsite at the bottom of the dirt road that leads up to the fort – about a 1/2 km away.  The fort itself is about 16 ams from the nearest town, Smoky Lake and so come Monday morning we found ourselves alone with not a soul in site.  Or so we thought.  Since this was such a nice flat site with a picnic table (a luxury item and welcome change from cooking and eating on the ground) we had decided to spend an extra day at this site to catch up on some writing, do some laundry and rest a bit.  We rarely took a day off – in fact we took 3 total in our 10 weeks out on the water.

That afternoon Pompom, our navigator and low tech alarm, kept growling at something in the bushes.  Pompom is an excellent watch dog, even if he is a Pomeranian.  He is very protective of us, our belongings and our campsite.  If someone barges in unannounced he greets them with a bombardment of barking. We would listen and look at the area he was growling at, listening for cracking branches, looking for rustling in the bushes – we heard nothing and saw nothing.  Thinking there might have been a bear or coyote or something else lurking, we readied our gun and stayed vigilant.  That evening everything seemed back to normal.  Pompom was no longer concerned, nor were we.  That night when we turned in, I took out my journal as I did on many nights and wrote in it for awhile.  I usually put the journal back in the dry bag, I was so tired and there were many mosquitoes so that night I just left it in the tent with us, deciding to just pack it up the next morning. At some point during the night, Pompom woke us with a little growl – just one little growl.  We listened and asked Pompom what was up.  Pompom was already back asleep, so we did the same.


The following morning when I went to put my journal away, the dry bag was not where I had left it.  It was gone.  We looked for it and could not find it.  We always had the practice of putting all our gear either in our tent – the most delicate things especially – like the camera gear and electronics bag.  The rest of the packsacks and dry bags were tucked away safely out of the elements and away from the critters in either of the front or back vestibules of our 4 person 4 season tent – (it’s a 10 x 10 tent – nice and roomy with lots of storage for all our gear).  Where my bag had been, the flap of the vestibule had been lifted and we saw fresh footprints in the sand – with threads that looked nothing like our sandals which we’d been wearing.  We following the few prints but they led into the grass and we lost them almost immediately.  We walked up the road to the fort to see if anyone was around – we saw no one nor any signs of anyone being there.

In that dry bag was $475 cash, all our maps, our trip pod, my toiletries, trail mix, toilet paper, the watch that my late mother had given me that was engraved “To Celine, Love Always – Mom).  In all we lost over $1200 of gear and money that night – to replace all this stuff was going to be difficult – we had not planned – AT ALL – on losing so much stuff.  I was furious and devastated.  How would we replace our much needed maps.  Although we had a gps – with our route on it, and electronic copies of maps on our computer – we needed paper maps – we could not rely on technology especially if we had any issues with charging – which in rainy weather we did. We charged our equipment with a solar panel, motorcycle battery, an inverter and batteries. At the fort,we had no cell service – calling the Police was not option.  I had little faith that contacting them would help us get our things back though – to be honest.  I left a note – tacked to the table and explained that we really needed those maps – I left my email as contact and explained that authorities had not been called in and no questions would be asked – all we wanted and needed were our maps…


For the next two days, we were pretty down.  We spent our days paddling hard – using our frustrations to propel us forward – using our anger as fuel.  We had limited cell service and I posted the bad news to Social Media.  The support was overwhelming.  People were as appalled as we where.  Our Twitter feed lit up with people wanting to help.  Some people even offered money to help us – $20 here – $50 there – all from people we had never met in real life.  Many from the United States even.  Even Sealline offered to send us a new dry bag as it was the brand of all our dry bags.  It was very heartwarming to see people rally behind us.  The love we felt squashed the anger and we decided that we would continue, we would find a way.  Now the budget was starting to hurt.  Especially because we also had to deal with gear failure.  Many of the things we had just purchased, gear that was “built for a lifetime of adventure” was failing after only 6 weeks on the water. Replacing the stolen items and failing gear was no easy task when canoeing on the North Saskatchewan River – there aren’t too many stores on the river banks – in fact there are none.

The universe was on our side though.  The next place we camped at had outhouses stocked with toilet paper! Woohoo! I can’t tell you how much that toilet paper meant to me! We were only about a day’s paddle to the next bridge where one of us would walk to the next town for supplies.  When we got to the bridge we saw a local woman cleaning garbage, we asked her where the nearest town was and explained who we were, what we were doing and what had happened.  Immediately she offered help.  Her name was Annette, of Brazeau Country – the closest town where they had a store was Two Hills – some 7 kms away. She offered us a ride to town and much to our delight a hot shower and breakfast! I was a bit shy about accepting help from a stranger and even a little uncomfortable about accepting her hospitality – this was all new to me.  But let me tell you this, Annette quickly made all those feelings disappear.  She was gracious and generous and explained she was a river person and she knew how good a hot shower felt after being on the water for as long as we had.  It was the thought of the hot shower than quelled my inhibitions and after wolfing down her french toast and hot tea, I felt like I had known her all my life.  She admitted to us that she hated driving and hated going to town – so she offered Gerry use of her vehicle.  I stayed with her for two reasons, even though she said I could go also, she’d watch Pompom.  The first reason is I thought it would make her less nervous if I stayed behind (as collateral – haha0 and secondly I did not want Pompom to feel abandoned.  We chatted about nature, pollution, the eduction system, how the world was going crazy and the corruption that existed in society.  This was a conversation that repeated itself with many people, from all walks of life all along our journey.  People are fed up with the status quo. People were really happy and proud of us for doing what we were doing.  People were envious of us for having the courage and the determination to try and inspire people to get outside, connect with nature and LIVE their dreams.  The way we see it – we are all stewards of the land – if you don’t like things the way they are – do what you can to change it – BE the change you want to see in the world….


This is a turning into a pretty long post, so I will wrap it up for today.  This was just the beginning of our trials – only the first person who took us in their home.  In the next blog posts I will share with you more of our amazing journey.  Some say that this documentary is taking a mind of it’s own – it’s turning into a suspense/drama blockbuster!

I do need to add this now though – this was only the beginning of our trials and not the reason I sit in front of my computer today at our son’s house – we were evacuated a few days ago because it was unsafe to stay on the river – forest fires surrounded us.  After spending almost two weeks in the thick smoke, 5 of those days waiting to be picked up, we made it out safe and sound.  That was an adventure (hahaha) in itself – a future post will describe what we went through and show you how bad it got.  We are regrouping, building funds and planning our next step.  This is Chapter Two – Chapter Three is about to begin….

Gerry, Pompom and I – we adapt – we live – we learn – we go with the flow….


We have already started to load some short clips to our Youtube channel; feel free to have a peek!  Subscribe to the channel to receive notifications when we upload more! Click on the link below – it’ll take you there in a new tab:

Youtube: My Wild Canada

Thank you for following our adventure!  Remember – life is about living.  Stop dreaming and start doing! Have a safe and wonderful summer!

About Canadian Voyageurs

Crossing Canada by canoe. Filming our experience.

Posted on July 17, 2015, in Photos of Canada, Places to go, Things to do and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.

  1. Nice reading your post and glad to hear that you’re rescued and with family. Have fun planning the “detour” and can’t wait to see your continued journey via Twitter.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: